Oracle Exadata Preventive Maintenance:
- Validate software versions are at recommended levels - [ID 888828.1]
- Validate firmware versions are at recommended levels - [ID 888828.1]
- Validate health of all hardware components in the machine - (exachk or HealthCheck [ID 1070954.1])
- Visually inspect the machine for failed or damaged components like slide rails, cable management arms
Exadata machine includes the following consumable components:
* Batteries in the disk controllers in the storage and database servers which protect the write cache in the event of a power failure.
* Energy Storage Module (ESM) in the PCIe flash cards in the storage servers which protect the DRAM cache in the event of a power failure.
Note: Failure of these consumable components will adversely impact performance (Note - there will be no loss of data or wrong results).
Replacement Schedule for Consumable Components:
1. Pro-active replacement schedule assumes worst case life expectancies.
2. Years 6,7, and later assume system was shipped within 5 years from last ship date or extended support is being offered.
Maintenance Window for pro-active replacement:
1. Times are estimates and will vary from system to system.
2. Full system downtime estimates vary based on whether 1 or 2 service engineers are used.
You will see below alert from cell nodes:
Hardware Alert: CRITICAL
Description: All Logical drives are in WriteThrough caching mode. Either battery is in a learn cycle or it needs to be replaced. Please contact Oracle Support
Affected Cell Name atl03cel01
Server Model SUN MICROSYSTEMS SUN FIRE X4275 SERVER SATA
Chassis Serial Number 1005XFG05E
Recommended Action: Battery is either in a learn cycle or it needs replacement. Please contact Oracle Support.